Transition Seminars (from School to Community Life)
Leaving school is a time of great change for a student with a disability and their family. There are many decisions to be made – and the best decisions are based on sound information.
There are different pathways possible depending whether the student was ORS funded at school (and whether they were Very High Needs or High Needs ORS funded). ORS funded students can access a 1yr funded Transition service where a transition coordinator will guide you through the school leaving process, the options and a raft of other supports and activities.
This seminar explores:
- The Transition service – when to begin this, what is involved, who are the transition coordinators
- ORS funded students – post schooling Vocational day programmes – how to access these, the process of transitioning into a day programme
- Other helpful information such as Ministry of Health funded support via Taikura Trust (depending on eligibility may include Respite, Personal Cares, Household Management, etc.), Work and Income support (depending on eligibility may include Supported Living Payment, Accommodation Supplement, Disability Allowance)
- Using Individualised Funding
- Other activities for gainful experiences and variety across a week upon leaving school – how to access and pay for such activities
- Options for non ORS funded students
- Some information on tertiary study, micro-enterprise and possible employment avenues
- The governments emerging ‘New Model’ for supporting people with disabilities – what the future might hold.
Dates/venues for upcoming seminars:
Tuesday 10th April 12-2pm
Disability Connect premises, 3b Olive Road, Penrose
We do not charge parents to attend our seminars, however we charge professionals $50 each per seminar. This can be paid by cash, cheque (made out to our full organisation name Parent and Family Resource Centre Inc.) or direct debit. We do not accept credit card or Eftpos payments. We are happy to send an invoice at the time of booking. Payment is required prior to attendance.
Click here for a PDF flier
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.